Who is a tax agent?
A tax agent is a person who prepares the returns of income required to be filed for 10 or more taxpayers and is one of the following:
- a practitioner carrying on a professional public practice
- a person carrying on a business or occupation in which returns of income are prepared,
A tax agent can be an individual, partnership or company that meets the definition of a “tax agent” under section 34B(2) of the Tax Administration Act 1994.
Registering with us brings a number of benefits for both tax agents and their clients.
Advantages for a registered tax agent
As a registered tax agent you:
- have access through our tax agents’ 0800 self-service line to a range of automated services specifically designed to help with most of your common queries
- can sign up to receive Agents Answers, our monthly newsletter containing up-to-date information from us
- are assigned an account manager to facilitate your relationship with us
- can choose to have your client’s tax information sent directly to you or your client
- have access to tools on our website designed specifically for you, and
- can spread your return filing over the year rather than have it all occur during one peak period.
Advantages for clients
Clients of registered tax agents can:
- have an automatic extension of time to file income tax returns, and
- allow their tax agent immediate access to their tax information by providing signed approval.